How to Become a Therapy Team
Briefly, the steps
on how to become a therapy team with our organization are below. Details are in the team
- Read the team information packet, the
standards, and the scope of service
policy to see if you think this would be a good fit for
you and your animal.
- Call our phone line (210-614-6734) or e-mail
firstname.lastname@example.org to ask questions.
- Complete additional training with your animal in the community
if needed to ensure readiness. We have suggestions for
- Join Therapy Animals of
San Antonio and
pay your $60 fee. The fee includes a one year
membership, a training class for the individual, and a team
evaluation during the membership period.
- Decide if you want your team registration to be Local
or Pet Partners®. The differences
between the two are detailed in the team information
- Complete class requirements for the registration type and attend
the scheduled class. There will be several classes throughout the
year for each registration type. The dates will be put on our
calendar a couple of months before the class.
- Have your veterinarian complete a health-screening exam on your
animal. Complete the Therapy Team Registration packet.
- Attend and successfully complete a scheduled therapy team evaluation with your animal.
There will be several evaluations throughout the year for each
registration type. The dates will be put on our
calendar a couple of months before the
evaluation is explained in the team training manual that will be
available after you become a member. You may
purchase a shirt for
yourself and/or a vest for your dog to wear to your Therapy Animals
- Visit at least two facilities with two experienced therapy teams.
Your animal does not go with you.
- Select and begin visiting a facility on our waiting list to visit regularly.
We require a minimum of ten visits each year with a two year
commitment. Submit visit reports on-line after each visit.
- Participate in organizational activities after joining.